are [EDIT: were ] lots of exciting things to look forward to in 2020. We have been working hard to try to capture the spirit of inclusivity as well as the challenge of fell running and are keen to support both experienced and fledgling runners.
This year we have separated the races into three different championships. Each will have a series winner and offers a different set of obstacles to provide something for everyone. In addition, we are also introducing the Barry Blyth Club Enthusiast Award for the most races entered across all three series’. In the event of a tie the individual with the biggest improvement will be awarded. This is very much about participation and an opportunity for people who don’t usually win races to be recognised for their efforts.
The Local Peaks Series (LPS)
The LPS is roughly half seasoned club champs races and half an opportunity to try something new. Terry’s High 5 will see its first year as an FRA race and it would be great to get a big turnout for this new club race in February – a race record is guaranteed for the winner! There are several shorter and medium distance races that few may have had the opportunity to run in Shrigley Stag, Cressbrook Crawl and Chrome Hill. The back end of the Series is more weighted to longer races in Holme Moss, Groovy Kinder Love and club stalwarts Windgather and Roaches. One Long race is required to complete the series. There are 12 races to choose from and 6 need to be run in order to qualify for the series championship. Most of these are enter on-day-races, but not all so do check the website.
- Sat 29th Feb Terry’s High Five BS 8.2km 365m £7 EOD or Pre-entry @ Fabian4
- Sun 5th April Mow Cop BM 11km 400m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Sat 9th May Cressbrook Crawl BM 11km 350m £7 EOD – cancelled
- Sun 7th June Passing Cloud BM 16km 565m £6 EOD – cancelled
- Sat 13th June Wincle Trout BS 9.5km 320m £10.50 Pre-Entry only [NOTE Change from Shrigley Stag as a club counter as they are on the same day] – cancelled
- Sat 27th June Chrome Hill BS 6km 213m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Sun 5th July Langley Fete BS 5km 198m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Sun 19th July Holme Moss AL 29km 1,315m £11 EOD or £10 Pre-Entry – cancelled
- Sun 23rd Aug Crowden Horseshoe BM 13km 518m £5 EOD or Pre-Entry @ Race-results – cancelled
- Sat 12th Sept Groovy Kinder Love AL 25km 1,300m £8 EOD – cancelled
- Sun 11th Oct Windgather BL 22km 762m £10 EOD – cancelled
- Sun 8th Nov Roaches BL 24km 1,128m £5 EOD – cancelled
High Fell Series (HFS)
The HFS has some tough races, but there are also more accessible races to help build confidence and experience for relative newcomers and encourage them into new territories. There are races in the Lake District, Snowdonia, Yorkshire Dales and Shropshire and a mixture of short, medium and long races, including the renowned Yorkshire Three Peaks race, Borrowdale and Ennerdale Horseshoes from the Lakes Classics. We have also included most of the English Fell Running Championship and British Fell Running Championship Races. These will sell out very quickly, so look out for the pre-entry dates. Yr Aran, Coledale Horseshoe, Coniston and Blencathra are a little shorter and easier on the navigation front if the long distance races are too intimidating. There are ten races to choose from and just 4 needed to qualify for the Series.
- Sat 14th March Snowdonia Yr Aran AM 16km 945m British Champs Pre-entry @ Fabian4 from Jan2020
- Sat 28th March Lake District (choice of two races) Coledale Horseshoe AM 14km 915m Pre-Entry via Ellenborough AC website – cancelled
/ Eskdale Elevation AL 20km 1,455m £7 EOD – cancelled
- Sat 25th April Yorkshire Dales Yorkshire 3 Peaks AL 37km 1,608m Pre-Entry from 9am Feb 1st – postponed to 26 September
- Sat 2nd May Lake District Coniston AM 14km 1,065m £10 EOD – cancelled
- Sat 16th May Rangers Alderman’s Ascent AS 9km 400m English Champs Pre-Entry – cancelled
- Sat 13th June Lake District Ennerdale Horseshoe AL 37km 2,290m English Champs Pre-Entry from 1st Jan – cancelled
- Sat 4th July Lake District Blencathra AM 13km 825m English Champs Pre-Entry April – cancelled
- Sat 1st Aug Lake District Borrowdale Horseshoe AL 27km 2,000m Pre-Entry from 31st May – cancelled
- Sat 29th Aug Lake District Arnison Crags AS 5km 305m English & British Champs Pre-Entry via SIEntries – cancelled
- Sun 20th Sept Shropshire South Mynd Tour AL 23km 1,270m English Champs – cancelled
Summer Midweek Series (SMS)
The SMS are typically short and fast races of 5-13km and no more than 450m climb, so expect lung busting, eye-popping sprints usually fairly close to Macclesfield. Several familiar stalwarts have been garnished with a few additions that will provide new adventures and challenges (Kett Killer, Gun Run, Calton Crawl and Bamford Carnival). Note that two of these are not on a Wednesday. Three of these races are club organised races, so please turn up to support and offer help even if you plan to run them (this includes the new Gun Run race as well as Rainow 5 and Forest 5). There are ten races in the Series for 2020 and you need to run 5 to qualify.
- Wed 29th April Kett Killer BS 10km 304m £12 EOD or £10 Pre-Entry [NOTE Change of date] – cancelled
- Wed 6th May Rainow 5 BS 8km 229m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 20th May Gun Run BS 9km 250m £7.50 EOD but £6 Pre-Entry preferred – cancelled
- Wed 3rd June Boar’s Head BM 13km 400m £4 EOD – cancelled
- Tues 16th June Calton Crawl BS 9km 244m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 1st July Hope Wakes BS 10km 451m £8 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 15th July Bamford Carnival BS 7km 305m £5 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 22nd July Forest 5 CS 9km 307m £7 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 5th Aug Cracken Edge BM 11km 442m £6 EOD – cancelled
- Wed 12th Aug Eccles Pike AS 5km 305m £6 EOD or £5 Pre-Entry – cancelled
Club Fellrunning Weekend
In addition to the three Series’, we have a club fellrunning weekend away in the Lake District planned for the last weekend in March [EDIT: away weekend postponed to September], where there will be a choice of races on the Saturday. Coledale Horseshoe for those that like a shorter/faster run with less significant Nav, or Eskdale Elevation for those seeking a longer gnarlier affair. Either will contribute to the High Fell Series and we will regroup in the evening to recant tales on the hills and plan future adventures! Then, for anyone wanting to make the most of a trip to the Lakes, on Sunday there will be a gentle reccy over the course of the Coniston fell race route (the 4th race in the HFS five weeks later). Look out for posts on FB and forum soon. The last trip in September was enjoyed by all, so if you haven’t done one before please get involved – there is no commitment to run either race.
Other club events
To top off an already packed out calendar, there are also several orienteering events, nav training and fell relays. Stay tuned for more info!
- Navigation Skills Event (date tbc)
- 28th March Club Weekend Away – postponed
- 27 May May-time Scamper-O – cancelled
- 17 June Polly Lander Orienteering Trophy – cancelled
- 4th October Hodgson Relays – cancelled
- 17th October British Fell Relays & Club Weekend Away – cancelled
- 29th Nov (tbc) Club Fell Handicap – cancelled
We have created and attached a double page downloadable year calendar of all of this information, so feel free to use this to help organise your running year and add in any other events you plan to get involved in!
Here’s to an event-full 2020!
Dennis, Alannah, Graham and Tom